From opera to chamber music, including unusual programs, enjoy year-round shows in various regions of France.
A unique opportunity to dicover rich musical heritage.
Jazz Festivals, Modern, and World Music
Discover an eclectic program at Détours de Babel in April, in Grenoble.
For jazz fans, rendez-vous end of June in Loire Valley, at the Jazzin' Cheverny festival; followed by Live au Pont modern music concerts in Pont du Gard.
End of July, visit the European jazz capital to catch Jazz in Marciac Festival, and Jazz à Juan in Antibe Juan-les-Pins. Then, end the summer in Paris, at Jazz à la Villette...
Be sure to catch the largest modern music festivals: Francofolies, in La Rochelle (July); Belfort's Eurockéennes (July); Carhaix-Plouguer's Festival des Vieilles Charrues, in Brittany (July); Rock en Seine, in the magical scenery of Domaine national de Saint-Cloud, in Paris (August).
Early Music, Baroque, Rennaissance, Classical...
In January, rendez-vous at La Folle Journée, Nantes' classical music festival.
Starting mid-June, Reims vibrates to Flâneries musicales, followed by Lyon's Nuits de Fourvière festival. The events are synchronized with the opening of the Festival d'Auvers-sur-Oise; the hometown of world famous landscape painters and impressionists such as Van Gogh.
July's events include: the International Baroque and Romantic Opera festival of Beaune (Burgundy); Radio France Festival in Montpellier; the International Festival of Colmar (Alsace); the Festival des Saintes, hosted at the heart of Caen's famous women monastery, the Abbay aux Dames (Poitou-Charente); and the Carcassonne Festival, which takes over the Cité de Carcassonne fortress, a UNESCO Heritage site.
In high summer, stop by the Festival Pablo Casals in Prades (Pyrenees-Orientales) and the Chambord Festival, both held in breathtaking landscapes.
In Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, the Chorégies d'Orange and the Festival International d'Art Lyrique d'Aix-en-Povence are sure to delight lyrical art enthusiasts. And the Festival de la Roque d'Anthéron is a must-see for piano aficionados.
Starting in August, in Dordogne-Perigord, the Festival du Perigord noir features classical music concerts until October.
The Berlioz Festival opens end of August, in Cote-Saint-Andre (Rhône-Alpes); the French composer's hometown. In Burgundy, voices are honored at Vezelay Abbey during the Rencontres Musicales event, while the Festival de Sable captivates the Western Loire with a rich program.
In September, visit the European Festival of Renaissance Music, held at the Chateau du Clos Luce (Loire Valley). Or, drop by the Besançon International Music Festival to attend the 54th competition for young conductors in Franche-Comte. Piano lovers rendez-vous in Toulouse, at the Piano aux Jacobins festival, held in the magnificent Jacobins convent.
Festivals & Abbeys
France's religious sanctuaries, and most beautiful abbeys also open their doors to music:
- the Festival de Saint-Riquier Baie de Somme held at the Saint-Riquier Abbey;
- the Royaumont Musical Seasons Festival hosted in the royal Abbey (Paris Ile-de-France);
- the Festival de musique ancienne et baroque of Saint-Michel-en-Thierache (Picardie);
- the International Festival of Sacred Music and World Music at the Abbey of Sylvanès (Midi-Pyrénées);
- the Traversées- Rencontres musicales which take place in the Cistercian Abbey of Noirlac (Loire Valley);
- or the Festival of La Chaise-Dieu in Auvergne…
Explore sacred and secular music in rare settings.
France Festivals, the French federation of music festivals and performing arts presents the programs and calendar of year-round festivals hosted in all the regions of France.
Over 85 music festivals and performance art shows feature more than 2000 shows in the most prestigious areas of France.
- France festivals
- Détours de Babel in Grenoble
- Jazzin’ Cheverny
- Lives au Pont (Pont du Gard)
- Jazz in Marciac
- Festival de jazz d'Antibes Juan-les-Pins
- Jazz à la Villette
- Les Francofolies de La Rochelle
- Les Eurockéennes de Belfort
- Festival des Vieilles Charrues (Brittany)
- Rock en Seine (Paris)
- La Folle Journée de Nantes
- Les Flâneries Musicales de Reims
- Les Nuits de Fourvière in Lyon
- Festival d'Auvers-sur-Oise
- Festival d'Opéra Baroque in Beaune
- Festival Radio France in Montpellier
- Festival International de Colmar
- Festival de Saintes à l'Abbaye aux Dames
- Festival de Carcassonne
- Festival Pablo Casals in Prades
- Festival de Chambord
- Les Chorégies d'Orange
- Festival d'Aix en Provence
- Festival de Piano de la Roque d'Anthéron
- Festival de musique du Périgord noir
- Festival Berlioz (in Isère)
- Festival de Besançon
- Piano aux Jacobins in Toulouse
- Festival de l'Abbaye de Sylvanès
- Les Traversées de l'Abbaye de Noirlac
- Festival de la Chaise-Dieu