Limousin : the “château d'eau”
Nicknamed the “château d'eau” (water tower) due to the many water ways which take their source here, from its lakes to its ponds, Limousin is home to very varied landscapes. Its farmland-covered valleys, forest-covered gorges and vegetable-covered plains are brimming with history and are perfect for many different activities.
A region for art lovers
Due to a large part of the region being located in the Massif Central, Limousin is mostly made up of farming land. Known for its gold in the Antiquity, its abbeys in the 13th century and its famous Limoges porcelain since the 18th century, today, although the region's technology industry is booming, it hasn't forgotten its past traditions.
Some of the companies in the region
For more information, consult the Invest in France Agency’s website
The first Aubusson tapestries were woven by the Augeraing brothers in 1501. The Department's Tapestry museum looks back over 500 years of the design and manufacturing of these famous works of art.
Over an area between 500 and 1,000 metres high stretches an expansive humid region of around 3,300 km2. This granite plateau which constitutes part of the Massif Central is nicknamed the “château d'eau de la France” (France's water tower) due to its lakes and the many water courses that take their source here.
Limousin is a land filled with nature and contrasts. Between valleys, lakes, plateaux and moors, the Region has multiple landscapes and sensations to offer its visitors. Hikers that enjoy observing fauna and flora will be in their element here.
The simplicity of the area
The cuisine of Limousin is mainly composed of products from the region, making for simple dishes: soups made from bacon, hotpots and pies. One of the symbols of this cuisine is the dessert Clafoutis, with its apples being the only ones in the country to receive the registered designation of origin.
A martyred village whose inhabitants were killed by the 2nd SS Das Reich division during the Second World War, part of the town that stands here today has been left in a state of ruin. It bears witness to the suffering inflicted upon the villagers. Just nearby, the Centre de la Mémoire (memorial centre) is a museum created in memory of the crimes committed on that 10th June 1944.